Asparagus Soup with Sea Scallops
8 tablespoon butter
8 small leeks (trimmed and chopped)
6 cups of water
1 small, baking potato, peeled and chopped
2 ¼ teaspoons salt
1.2 teaspoon of ground pepper
½ teaspoon cracked pepper
1 cup of chicken stock
2 pounds fresh asparagus, timed, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup of heavy cream
- In a medium size heavy stock-pot over medium heat, melt the butter. When the following has subsided, turn the heat to low and add the leeks, Let them steeps until they are soft, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Do o let ten brown.
- Add the water, potato, salt, both peppers, and chicken stock, and turn the heat back up to medium high. Let the mixture simmer for 13 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the Asparagus and bring the soup to a boil for 5 to 7 minutes, until it has reduced by approximately a quarter. Remove it from the heat
- In a food processor fixed with metal blade, puree the soup – in batches, if necessary – until it is very smooth, then stir in the heavy cream.
- Put one serving of sea scallops in the bottom of each bowl before adding the soup.
THE SEA SCALLOPS
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound of sea scallops
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup dry vermouth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a heavy nonstick skillet over high heat, melt the butter and oil together. Place the scallops, salt and pepper in the medium size mixing bowl and toss the scallops in the seasoning.
- When the butter’s foaming has subsided, place the scallops in the pan and sauté them for 3 minutes until a brown crust forms.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and turn over the scallops. Add the garlic, vermouth, and lemon juice and sauté for one more minute, then turn off the heat. Remove the scallops with tongs and place on serving in the bottom of each soup bowl before adding he soup.
- To serve the scallops on their own, place them on serving platter, pour the remaining sauce from the pain over them and garnish with parsley.
Recipe by Alex Hitz for House Beautiful